Getting tested for COVID-19 is as important as ever, and New York City has many sites that offer COVID-19 testing at no cost to you, including NYC Health + Hospitals and our mobile testing fleet. Additionally, you can pick-up an at-home test kit for free at any one of our partner distribution sites.
All New Yorkers Should Get Tested
NYC Health + Hospitals offers testing at hospitals and mobile units and at-home kits at libraries, recreation centers, and pools across the five boroughs. Just walk in – no appointment needed!
If you took a PCR test at an NYC Health + Hospitals location, your result will be available in 24 to 72 hours.
Tests Are No Cost to You
COVID-19 tests are available at no cost to you. Remember, you do not need health insurance to get a COVID-19 test at an NYC Health + Hospitals location.
NYC Health + Hospitals testing sites will never ask about immigration status.
- For immunocompromised New Yorkers and those ages 65 and older, at-home testing is available. To schedule an appointment, call (929) 298-9400 between 9:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., seven days a week.
- If you’re using at-home test kits, check out the NYC Health Department COVID-19: Testing page for tips, instructional videos and information on how to get free tests. Then visit the NYC Test & Treat COVID-19 Resource page for important information on what to do based on your results, or try out our COVID-19 Quarantine and Isolation Guidance Tool.
- You can also use our handy “Tips for Performing an At-Home Test” guide
Other Testing Options
- Text “COVID TEST” to 855-48 to find a no-cost testing site near you
- Make an appointment for a no-cost rapid test at an NYC Health Department COVID Express site
- Call the NYC Test & Treat Corps Hotline at 212-COVID19 (212-268-4319) and press 1 after selecting your language
- Speak with your health care provider
- If you do not have a health care provider, you can call NYC Health + Hospitals at 844-NYC-4NYC (844-692-4692) or 311 for help finding one. You can also schedule a virtual visit with an NYC Health + Hospitals provider by visiting ExpressCare and clicking on “Talk to a Doctor Now,” or by calling the NYC Test & Treat Corps Hotline at 212-COVID19 (212-268-4319) and pressing 2 after selecting your language.
While You Wait for Results
You’ll generally receive test results in 24 to 72 hours if you got tested at an NYC Health + Hospitals location. Results may take longer at other sites.
While you wait for results, it’s important to continue taking all the necessary steps to protect yourself and others:
- Stay home if sick – Only leave for essential medical care and testing or other essential errands.
- Keep physical distance – Stay at least 6 feet away from other people.
- Wear a mask – You can be contagious without symptoms. Protect those around you by wearing a well-fitting mask.
- Keep your hands clean – Wash your hands often with soap and water or use hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
Understanding COVID Test Results
English | Español | Shqip | االعربية | বাংলা | Français | Kreyòl Ayisyen | हिंदी | 한국어 | Polski | Русский | 简体中文 | 繁體中文 | اُردُو
If You Test Positive
If you test positive, we want to make sure you know what to do next — how long to isolate, notifying close contacts and more. You can find this information in the What to do if you test positive section of our COVID-19 Resources page. Or you can try out our COVID-19 Quarantine and Isolation Guidance Tool for personalized guidance. After you answer a few short questions, the tool will let you know what isolation guidance you should follow based on your specific circumstances, such as whether or not you have symptoms.