MANCHESTER, N.H. (January 21, 2023)- Five different goal scorers including Alexis Petford, who posted the program’s first-ever hat trick, led the Stonehill College women’s ice hockey team to an 8-3 win at Saint Anselm Saturday in New England Women’s Hockey Alliance action.
STO: Alexis Petford (Paige Whaley and Lily Geist), 13:30-1st period
Katie Sonntag, 16:46-1st period
Lily Geist (Josie Mendeszoon and Gracie Sacca), 02:05-2nd period
Alexis Petford (Paige Whaley and Bailey Feeney), 03:46-2nd period
Lily Geist (Lucie Turcotte and Gracie Sacca), 11:06-2nd period
Alexis Petford (Paige Whaley), 01:09-3rd period
Maddison Achtyl (Maeve Carey and Gracie Sacca), 06:33-3rd period
Lucie Turcotte (Alexis Petford and Lily Barrett), 17:28-3rd period
STA: Gracie Bruno (Madi Ressler and Gracee Donovan), 16:08-2nd period
Kelly Golinin (Tyra Turner and Audrey Jackson), 16:54-2nd period
Tyra Turner, 09:40-3rd period
STO: Hanna Zukow (60:00)-30 saves
STA: Allie Kelley (60:00)- 30 saves
Lily Geist posted her second two-goal game in Saturday’s win (Photo Credit: Mary Gettens).
- As both sides played hard back and forth early in the first, at the 13:30 mark, Petford gave the Skyhawks the early 1-0 lead after Whaley found her open by the left face-off circle and fired a wrister past Kelley’s glove side. A little over three minutes later, the squad added another goal courtesy of Sonntag when she raced past Hawks skaters after the puck broke free from the Stonehill face-off circle and flipped the puck past Kelley.
- Early in the second, just 02:05 into the frame, Geist netted Stonehill’s third goal when Mendeszoon swung the puck across one face-off circle to another as Geist fired a one-timer. The Skyhawk’s offense continued their momentum and scored a little over a minute later when Whaley and Petford had a give-and-go play where Petford then put home a one-timer for her second goal of the afternoon.
- Later in the frame, Geist put home her second goal of the day when Sacca from the blue line sent a touch pass over to Turcotte in the right face-off circle who then found an open Geist to put the pack past an out-of-position Kelley for a 5-0 Stonehill lead. Geist has now posted two goals in two of her last four games. However, Saint Anselm trimmed the deficit to three (5-2) after two goals from Bruno and Golini.
- Despite two late second-period goals from the Hawks, the Purple and White were not fazed as Petford completed the hat trick less than two minutes (01:09) into the third. Whaley swung the puck from Stonehill’s end of the ice, ahead to Petford at center ice. From there, Petford pushed ahead and put on a nice move to beat Kelley stick side. For Petford, it is her first career hat trick and the first hat trick scored in program history.
- Stonehill tacked on another goal courtesy of Achtyl and pushed their lead to five (7-2) after Sacca set her up nicely for her career-high third assist in the game. Turner brought Saint Anselm within four later in the third but as the period approached the 20-minute mark, Turcotte netted the Skyhawks’ eighth goal for the eventual 8-3 win. The squad’s eight goals marked the fourth time this year Stonehill posted five or more goals and in each of those games, the Skyhawks are 4-0.
- Zukow’s 30 saves marked the seventh time this year she posted 30 or more saves.
Stonehill continues their NEWHA road trip when the team travels to Post University for a two-game set starting on Friday, January 27 at 8 p.m.
For the latest on Stonehill Athletics, follow the Skyhawks via social media on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Fans can also download the Stonehill Skyhawks “Front Row” mobile app, powered by PrestoSports, on iTunes and the Android Market.