!1 New UpdateClick here for latest updates
Surat hotel where Shinde stays is now a fortress
Nearly 400 policemen have been guarding it since early Tuesday morning. PTI quoted sources as saying the hotel has stopped accepting new bookings for an indefinite period.
“Unauthorised” persons are prevented from entering the property from the main road. Apart from the outer campus of the hotel, policemen are also deployed inside the hotel, especially on the floor where the ‘rebel leaders’ are staying.
DCP-level officers were seen visiting the premises at regular intervals
No Congress MLA missing, says party
All Congress MLAs are in touch with State President Nana Patole and legislature party leader Balasaheb Thorat and whatever news is there regarding the MLAs being not reachable is completely baseless: Maharashtra Congress
Uddhav’s aides at Surat hotel
Shiv Sena leaders Milind Narvekar and Ravi Pathak reached Le Meridien hotel in Surat where some Shiv Sena leaders are staying.
Why these 29 Maharashtra MLAs could be important
- The MVA government had won the trust vote on the floor of the Assembly on November 30, 2019, with 169 MLAs voting in favour.
- The Shiv Sena currently has 55 MLAs, the NCP has 53 legislators and the Congress has 44 MLAs in the 288-member House. That’s a total of 152. The BJP has 106 seats.
- There are 13 Independents in the House. Six are supporters of the BJP, five have backed the Shiv Sena, while the Congress and NCP enjoy the support of one Independent each.
- One Independent is a minister in the MVA government from the Shiv Sena quota. A Krantikari Shetkari Paksh MLA and a Prahar Janshakti Party MLA are also ministers from the Shiv Sena quota.
- Vinay Kore (Jansurajya Shakti Party) and Ratnakar Gutte (Rashtriya Samaj Paksh) are BJP’s supporters.
- Devendra Bhuyar (Swabhimani Paksh) and Shyamsunder Shinde (PWP) are NCP’s supporters.
- AIMIM and the Samajwadi Party, having two MLAs each, have supported the Congress.
- Three MLAs of the Bahujan Vikas Aghadi (BVA) back the BJP.
‘Missing’ Shiv Sena MLA’s wife files complaint
Akola police reaching Surat after Nitin Deshmukh’s wife filed a missing complaint. More complaints likely to be filed by family members of other Shiv Sena MLAs
No need for House special session: Maharashtra BJP
As of now, there’s no situation that demands a special session to be called for a no-confidence motion. From July 18, the Assembly session will begin, and then we will look into it: Maharashtra BJP chief Chandrakant Patil
Now , the Congress camp says that 5 MLAs from the party not reachable.
If Eknath Shinde has some misunderstandings, those can be sorted out.
– Sanjay Raut, Shiv Sena leader
Uddhav camp claims Shinde’s revolt failed, MLAs were misled
- That the MLAs have told them that they were misled into following Shinde to Gujarat
- That Shinde had taken the MLAs with him for dinner at a dhaba after the voting
- That Shinde told the MLAS they would go to a dhab in Palghar, from where it’s only 4 hours to Surat.
- And that from Palghar they were driven to Surat.
Only 8-9 MLAs with Shinde, claims Uddhav camp
The exact number of MLAs camping with Eknath Shinde is not clear but many legislators of Sena have gone incommunicado. The Uddhav camp is claiming that Shinde has only 8 to 9 MLAs with him in Surat, and not 25 to 35 as he claims.
Kamal Nath to firefight in Maharashtra
Congress has appointed former MP CM Kamal Nath as party’s observer to Maharashtra. Says this is “in wake of recent political developments in the state”.
The tweet by Eknath Shinde is an indirect attack on Uddhav Thackeray. He is positioning himself as a staunch Shiv Sainik, and at the same time hinted that Uddhav Thackeray compromised his ideology for power.
We are staunch followers of Balasaheb Thackeray. Balasaheb has taught us Hindutva. Balasaheb’s thoughts and teachings of Dharmveer Anand Dighe have always taught us that we should never compromise for power, and we will never do it.
– Eknath Shinde, rebel Shiv Sena leader
Shiv Sena removes Eknath Shinde as group leader in the state assembly
Sharad Pawar plays down MVA crisis, says govt won’t fall
- Pawar said the MVA alliance is intact, and that cross-voting in MLC polls is normal
- That the BJP has been trying to topple the MVA govt for the last nearly 3 years and failing
- That the crisis is the internal matter of the Shiv Sena, and that the party has all the support of the alliance
14 MLAs turn up for meeting
Uddhav Thackeray meeting in Varsha has 33 leaders and just 14 Shiv Sena MLAs. His camp has claimed that several others are in rural areas and are in transit to Mumbai.
Uddhav Thackeray tries to reach out
Milind Narvekar, PA to Uddhav Thackeray and Sena leader, has left for Surat to meet Eknath Shinde. Ravindra Phatak; MLC, and considered close to Shinde, has also been sent along with Narvekar.
Chronology of a mutiny: How Eknath Shinde broke ranks
- Eknath Shinde and his group is suspected to have cross-voted during the MLC polls in favour of the BJP and left the Maharashtra Assembly premises by 7pm yesterday evening.
- The MVA leadership was busy with the EC over a demand to disqualify two BJP MLAs
- The Shiv Sena and those in the government got a whiff of the rebellion after 9 pm when Shinde and many other MLAs were not available on their phone
- By around 1am, the MVA started knowing of the crisis
- By 2.30am, calls began going out from Matoshree, the residence of Uddhav Thackeray
- By 5 am The Shiv Sena began rounding up its rest of the MLA’s who were planning to go to Gujarat.
Uddhav Thackeray has sent a few MLAs to go and speak to Eknath Shinde in Surat.
Independents in the spotlight
Many in the media have contacted me. I will decide my course of action at the appropriate time after speaking to my supporters: Geeta Jain, Independent MLA from Mira Bhayander ( C’tsy TOI)
Our majority (numbers) has gone down a little, it is a matter of concern
– Congress leader Prithviraj Chavan
Shiv Sena MLAs are at CM Uddhav Thackeray’s residence in Varsha for a meeting.
BJP has no role in Shinde revolt: party state chief
- Maharashtra BJP president Chandrakant Patil said his party has got nothing to do with political developments in the ruling Shiv Sena.
- Patil also said if the BJP receives any proposal from Eknath Shinde to form government, they would “definitely consider it”.
- Shiv Sena MP Sanjay Raut said Shinde is not in Mumbai, but a communication has been established with him.
Can’t comment on developments in Sena: Chavan
I will not comment on what is happening with any other party but we will discuss it in the right place if it is needed. This is not something to be discussed in public: Congress leader Prithviraj Chavan
How the numbers add up in the Maharashtra Assembly
- In the Maharashtra House of 288, one seat is vacant because of the death of Shiv Sena legislator Ramesh Latke. Two NCP MLAs Anil Deshmukh and Nawab Malik are currently in jail.
- This is how the Maha Vikas Aghadi adds up: The Shiv Sena has 55 MLAs, NCP 53, Congress 44.
- The BJP has 106 and the Bahujan Vikas Aghadi (BVA) three.
- The Samajwadi party, AIMIM and Prahar Janshakti party two each.
- The MNS, CPI(M), PWP, Swabhimani Party, Rashtriya Samaj Paksh, Jansurajya Shakti party, Krantikari Shetkari Party have one each.
- There are 13 independent legislators.
Eknath Shinde is not Mumbai, but communication has been established with him.
– Sanjay Raut, Shiv Sena leader
Eknath Shinde claims there are 25 MVA ruling alliance MLAs with him: ET Bureau
List of MLAs at the Surat hotel, according to sources
- Eknath Shinde, Abdul Sattar, Shamburaj Desai, Sandipan Bhumre, Udayshasah Rajput, Bharat Gogawale, Nitin Deshmukh, Anil Babar, Vishwanath Bhoir, Sanjay Gaekwad, Sanjay Ramulkar, Mahesh Shinde, Shahji Patil, Prakash Abitkar, Sanjay Rathod, Gyanraj Chowgule, Tanaji Sawant, Sanjay Shirsat, Ramesh Bornare.
- Shamburaj Desai and Abdul Sattar are ministers. Desai is MoS for Home.
- Tanaji Sawant is an MLC
It is our tradition that we need to go to our national leaders with sweets, after winning an election. Devendra Fadnavis has gone to distribute sweets among our party leaders in Delhi.
– Maharashtra BJP chief Chandrakant Patil
Maharashtra BJP points finger at Sanjay Raut
When Nana Patole spoke about the Centre’s intervention in Vidhan Parishad, I said that a script needs to be prepared after loss & he had already prepared it. Similarly, Sanjay Raut is writing the script of this rebellion : Maharashtra BJP chief Chandrakant Patil
Sanjay Raut plays down MVA revolt
At the time of the formation of the Maha Vikas Aghadi government, a similar effort was made by BJP, but that experiment was not successful. So now, the same effort is being made again: Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut
I know Eknath Shinde Ji, he is a true Shiv Sainik. He will return without any conditions.
– Sanjay Raut, Shiv Sena leader
BJP misusing power: Maharashtra Congress leader
BJP misuses its power, they are taking the Indian democracy towards untruthfulness. I am sure the truth will win. I have called a meeting of all Maharashtra Congress leaders today: Maharashtra Congress leader Nana Patole on MLC elections.
Maharashtra minister Eknath Shinde has been offered the post of deputy chief minister by BJP: TOI reports quoting sources.
NCP, Sena and Congress saw vote erosion: BJP
- The BJP claims that except NCP, both Shiv Sena and Congress saw vote erosion in the state Legislative Council elections.
- The opposition BJP in Maharashtra managed to get its “extra” candidate elected as MLC, trouncing the Congress’ first preference candidate Chandrakant Handore.
- BJP got 133 votes against its strength of 106 MLAs.
- The prime contest for the tenth seat — between Congress’ Bhai Jagtap and BJP’s Prasad Lad — came as a shocker as both won, while Congress’ first choice Handore was trounced.
- All the BJP’s nominees — Pravin Darekar, Ram Shinde, Shrikant Bhartiya, Uma Khapre and Prasad Lad — sailed through though they were running short on numbers.
Shiv Sena is likely to skip opposition meet being held today to decide the presidential candidate.
Eknath Shinde is expected to address a press conference in Surat today noon.
19 Shiv Sena MLAs are now staying at the Surat hotel, according to BJP sources: ET Bureau
Reports say CM Uddhav Thackeray has called all Shiv Sena MLAs to Mumbai
Sena crisis on for more than a week: NCP leader
State NCP minister Chhagan Bhujbal said he does not feel that there is a threat to the Maharashtra Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) government, comprising the Shiv Sena, NCP and Congress. “An upheaval was going on in the Shiv Sena for nearly a week”, he said.