JAM is now ForAfrika
JAM is excited to announce that we have rebranded, we are now ForAfrika
Purpose of Position:
The Global Health and Nutrition Specialist is a Sector Expert who will provide technical leadership and support for the ForAfrika Country Offices’ Health and Nutrition Managers in achieving the sector’s programme results according to the organization’s Theory of Change, Programming Framework and aligned to the national countries’ Health and Nutrition Strategies, goals, corresponding strategic programme objectives and interventions desired results and outcomes. The position will guide and support the effective implementation of the organization’s Health and Nutrition Sector overall Strategy to ensure the organization achieves its Health and Nutrition Programmes results.
The mainstay of this position is to ensure that the organization’s Health and Nutrition Programme meets global health and nutrition standards; achieves the envisaged results at each country of operation level. The Global Health and Nutrition Specialist will ensure country programmes are comprehensive and integrated in meeting the goals and objectives of each country office strategic plans. The Specialist will provide technical support to all ForAfrika country offices in meeting the respective country priorities and aligned to global standards/ the organization’s programming standards and values ensuring each country’s national/regional/local Health and Nutrition goals.
Leadership and management of health and nutrition sector programmes:
- Provide leadership in the development of a consolidated ForAfrika Global Health and Nutrition Programme corresponding Annual implementation plans, budgets and Monitoring and Evaluation Plans.
- Provide leadership in the development, harmonization and coherence of health and nutrition programme strategy/approaches /activities across all ForAfrika country offices.
- Provide continuous technical backstopping, organizational support and capacity building to the organization’s country offices’ health and nutrition technical teams, to ensure teams are conversant with the requisite standards and methodological programming approaches in line with national/ForAfrika Strategic Plans, Standard Operation procedures/guidelines and specific programme innovations.
- Undertake mapping of all ForAfrika country office teams’ health and nutrition portfolio managers to establish their specific expertise/technical capacity building/learning needs and develop a master plan for capacity building the field staff in health and nutrition.
- Provide leadership in ForAfrika’s effective representation proactivity in innovation in the health and nutrition sector at country/regional and international levels.
- Ensure regular coordination with support departments (finance, logistics, administration and human resources) in procurement planning and follow-up, cash forecasts and expenditure tracking, human resources planning and staff performance management for the health and nutrition sector programmes.
- The Specialist shall represent ForAfrika in all relevant meetings such as the Health and Nutrition cluster meetings, donor meetings and line ministry meetings coordinated by the governments where the organization operates.
- Establish Community of Practice on Health and Nutrition at all levels of operation respectively.
- Participate in the Regional Nutrition Cluster as necessary.
Monitoring & Evaluation, Research and Reporting
- Participate in planning and provide technical support to ForAfrika’s M&E plans both within sustainable development as well as during humanitarian disaster emergencies.
- Provide technical support for country programme health and nutrition assessment processes (viz: baselines, evaluations, SMART surveys, KAP surveys and other inter-agency special studies) support for the JAM country teams to develop Terms of Reference, design, data collection methodology and tools, analysis, report writing and dissemination;
- Conduct routine monitoring, quality assessment, quarterly/annual reviews to ascertain progress, identify constraints and promising results and success stories;
- Lead in development and review of projects narrative and financial reports and sharing with the ForAfrica Technical Unit and senior management and funding partners in a timely manner;
- Plan and conduct capacity building and training of field staff and partners on monitoring and reporting of project activities against planned activities, indicators and targets;
New business development
- In consultation with the Chief Programs Officer and the Head of Technical Unit and ForAfrika Country Managers/Directors, undertake the development of innovative programmes including Knowledge Production research and apply the results to producing tools for Health and Nutrition Programme.
- Identify potential partners and donors and assist in developing pre-positioning plans and participate in meetings with potential partners and donors.
- Participate in preparing Concept Notes and Project/Programme proposals in health and nutrition programming ensuring the effective conceptualization and articulation of ForAfrika’s Theory of Change, Programming Framework, Programme Intervention Model, Logical Framework design and Budgeting for the organization’s health and nutrition programmes/projects.
Coordination, representation and partnership building:
- Undertake effective coordination of the ForAfrika’s Health and Nutrition programmes as well as with other organization’s sector Programmes (WASH, Education, FSL, Economic Empowerment) and with Emergency Response in order to achieve integrated programme development/planning and implementation at all levels of ForAfrika’s operations.
- Represent ForAfrika organization in relevant national/regional forums ensuring active presence and effective participation and contribution to humanitarian coordination in the health and nutrition clusters and other technical working groups to maintain a positive, continuous and visible presence for the organization.
- Establish and maintain links with various health and nutrition actors and develop partnerships as relevant and appropriate including with NGOs, specialized institutions and the private sector operatives and stakeholders.
- Lead in the integration of health and nutrition programmes with other sectors (Food Assistance, FSL, WASH, Education, Protection) and work closely with other sector leads to foster synergies.
- Share information in a collaborative, productive and cooperative manner with others in and outside the organization.
- Lead and develop the development of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for ForAfrika’s health and nutrition programme.
- Lead the designing and support the implementation of action oriented research in health and nutrition to generate relevant knowledge that will be used in producing knowledge products and training tools as well as in and for advocacy.
- Support ForAfrika country offices in developing and implementing knowledge management strategies for health and nutrition taking into account in particular the organization’s school feeding and WASH programmes.
- Lead, Facilitate and support the coordination of knowledge/learning exchange initiatives within ForAfrika peers in the health and nutrition Pillar and externally with likeminded health and nutrition networks/communities of practice including convening and facilitating webinars, online meetings on health and nutrition.
- Establish a data-base on health and nutrition resources needed for programme planning and reporting.
- Develop in consultation with ForAfrika Country Managers/Directors internal and external strategies and tools for advocacy campaigns, newsletters, social media etc.;
- Serve as the Focal Point for ForAfrika for Knowledge Management in health and nutrition.
- Undertake the effective documentation and dissemination of ForAfrika’s Best Practices, key Tools and Advocacy materials from its health and nutrition programme.
- Identify opportunities for and facilitate engagement with key events of ForAfrika country offices and partners in health and nutrition activities.
- A shared vision created among all health and nutrition programme staff and partners in achieving health and nutrition programme targets.
- Technical support and capacity provided to ForAfrika organization‘s country office staff on health and nutrition to facilitate effective programme implementation and achievement of the desired targets and results including agreed donor results for health and nutrition programmes.
- Programme monitoring and evaluation (based on agreed indicators) regularly carried out, and timely reporting to stakeholders done.
- Partnerships are effectively managed and sustained within and outside the organization
- Increased growth in health and nutrition programme portfolio in terms of funding, partnerships and donor diversity.
Qualifications, skills and competencies required
- Masters’ degree in any of the following: Medicine, Public Health, Nursing, Human Nutrition
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in health and nutrition programme planning and management, emergency preparedness and response in fragile or complex contexts.
- Specific technical expertise in monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning as it pertains to health and nutrition programmes.
- Demonstrated experience in management of health information/data (data collection/analysis/reporting of key health and nutrition indicators.
- Strong knowledge in Conceptual analysis and knowledge in health and nutrition programming
- Knowledge of grants and operating procedures of key institutional donors, particularly Humanitarian Response Fund, UNICEF, WFP, DfID, Health Pooled Fund, Global Funds for TB, Aids and Malaria, USAID/PMI; European Union, African Development Fund.
- Proven presentation, training and facilitation skills including the ability to prepare technical presentations for high level internal and external engagement.
- Highly developed interpersonal and external communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching, partner focus, cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
- Capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances including the ability to work under pressure and flexible to work late hours to meet deadlines.
- Competence and experience in using/applying SPSS, STATA, Epi Info, Nutri-Survey, Nutri- SMART, ODK and PowerPoint presentations;
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written is essential. Working knowledge of other international languages such as Portuguese/French is an advantage;
- Commitment to ForAfrika’s ethos and values.
How to apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications, skills and experience, should apply by sending their CV’s to: email@example.com
ForAfrika to Thrive is an equal opportunity organisation dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same vision and value.