DANGEN Entertainment will publish Recall: Empty Wishes for PC via Steam when it launches in Q2 2023, the company announced. The game is a story-driven psychological thriller set in Taiwan and developed by Taiwanese developer Hook Puff Studio. It will support English, Japanese, Traditional Chinese, and Simplified Chinese language options.
A demo is available to play now via Steam for the duration of BitSummit X-Roads, which runs from August 6 to 7 in Kyoto, Japan. The demo features the first two chapters of the game.
Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:
If you knew your wish would never come true, what would push you to keep on going?
Recall: Empty Wishes is a story-driven psychological thriller based in Taiwan in the 2010s. The story centers around Tommy, a boy who has mysteriously disappeared and his sister, Yonny, who is trying to find him.
Story and Gameplay
What could have caused Tommy Lin, a smart considerate boy, to suddenly disappear? One day, Yonny discovers a toy phone receiver that she used with Tommy when they were children. The mysterious phone receiver connects Yonny and her friend, Phoebe, to the Gallery of Empty Wishes, where they find themselves able to enter the memory echoes of people connected to Tommy. Using the receiver, they delve into these people’s deepest desires, and ultimately seek to uncover the truth behind Tommy’s disappearance.
- The five main characters: Phoebe (Yonny’s friend), Mocky (Tommy’s friend), Tommy, Eartha (Tommy and Yonny’s mother) and Yonny (Tommy’s sister).
Follow Yonny and Phoebe as they relive the memories of five key players surrounding Tommy’s disappearance. Each chapter delves into the memories of one character, revealing the character’s deepest wishes and secrets. By interacting with characters, collecting items, making choices and investigating in 2D side-scrolling scenes, players will piece together the truth regarding Tommy’s disappearance.
- Enter the memories of key characters and uncover the truth.
- The Gallery of Empty Wishes, containing the echoes of key characters.
- Interact with puzzles to progress through the story.
- Immersive story based on the culture of Taiwanese students in the 2010s.
- Non-linear storytelling that combines elements of fantasy, mystery, and horror.
- Multiple character perspectives with alternate points of view and narration.
- Choices affect other characters and endings.
- 2D side-scrolling gameplay with interactive elements and puzzle-solving.
- Combines pixel-art graphics with hand-drawn portraits of characters.
- Multiple language support, including Chinese, English, and Japanese.
Watch a new trailer below. View a new set of screenshots at the gallery.
Publisher Announce Trailer